Itz just about Me and My World

Sunday, April 30, 2006

On the move ... for the first time.

I joined hll somedays back and i had gone on a travel to chennai and calcutta already. With a weeks learning behind me, i set out for my first proper business travel all alone into south. I was supposed to go to Tanjore(40 kms from my native town of kumbakonam) and trissur. I left my office at 5:15 PM to catch the train at 7 PM.
  • SVCE thought me to live life without getting busy at any point.
  • CTS thought me to look busy when u are doing nothing.
  • XL thought me to keep myself busy even if it meant doing useless things.
  • HLL though me how to be really busy even if nothing comes out of it.
These days, I always reached place on time. I began being overly puntual. I wish i could also getting into a running flight just like i used to board a bus(reminded of the erstwhile VijayKanth Movie). On that day too, I reached the platform at 7 PM, on time for the train's departure. But, there was no train in the platform. My heart started beating faster. "Did i miss the train ?", I had mumbled to myself. I approached one fellow who was around and asked " Has the train left ?". The guy gave me a puzzled look and began talking in kannada.

I stopped him and told him, "Saar! no kannada, only english talk". He was happy that my english was understandable. "train coming, laetu 10 mins". I calmed down and had a deep breath accompanied with a lovely coffee. Tat is what i like abt the south, U get the best coffees here. I was reminded of chitto, who used to gimme coffee in Jam. Even if it was bad, i had no choice. I was very tired after a hectic days work at office and hence slept off immediately after i had got into the train. I got down in tanjore at 5 AM in the morning. I had arranged for my stay and car only late in the evening and i dint confirm any plans. So, I was wondering what if nothing had been arranged.

There was guy standing there with a HLL placard and some weird name written on it. I spoke to him for a while and confirmed if that car had actually come to pick me up. I headed to my hotel and crashed on bed for a nap again. After having seen some temples after a bath, I was taken to the households where i am supposed to do a research, by an elderly lady from some HLL's associate MR firm. I went around with my laptop to all these places and had a 20 minutes conversation with every house-wife i could find. It was proper BOP place and the houses were very small huts. It was a humbling experiance. I spoke with ladies for whom, spending even Rs. 50 was a fight.

I was moved emotionally when a lady told me that she was using complan and horlicks some years back and switched to tea when her husband's business incurred losses. Apart from Branding 3 Roses Tea, I also had some key learning from the trip :
  • What we think, is not always the reality.
  • Life extends beyond A/C rooms.
  • CQ and B-skool does no role in bulding a manager.
  • Purchasing decision is not depended on price or product. Customers life and history also has a say.
  • There is nothing satisfying than reaching out to the people and satisfying their needs.
  • Life is too complex, even when things look abvious.
It was a great trip to begin my career with. Looking forward for the next 2 months at HLL .....

Cheers

JK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home